DIY your Wedding Dress Style
So, you and your partner are engaged and have already begun planning your wedding. We know it can be overwhelming, but you get a few things right and everything else will fall into place. And we're here to help!
One of the most important things you'll have to decide on is what kind of style you want for your wedding dress. Are you just going to wear a traditional white gown, or are you going to let your inner unicorns shine? There are plenty of ways that you can DIY your wedding dress style without spending a ton of money on a custom gown. We're here to help walk you through some of the most popular trends in DIY wedding dresses and show you how easy it's going to be for even the least crafty bride to pull off these looks.
From adding spectacular sleeves to your dress to making a dazzling veil that'll have everyone talking, we're confident that after reading this guide, you'll find inspiration here to make your dream gown a reality!
Tips For Finding Affordable Wedding Supplies & Dresses
Whether you're a crafty bride, or just want to save money, here are some wedding ideas for making sure you get the right look at the right price.
- Think about your style. Before you even head out shopping or start looking online, think about what you want your dress to look like. Are you interested in a modern and laid-back style or something more luxurious and formal? Do you have any ideas for specific details? If so, write them down as this will help you narrow down what to look for and will help keep you focused when searching through racks of dresses that may not be in your desired style.
- Do your research. It's easy to get overwhelmed when trying to figure out what kind of wedding dress style is right for you. That's why we recommend doing some research before making any final decisions – you never know what might surprise you!
- Be Authentic. Ultimately, we believe that there is no one-size-fits-all definition of perfection because perfection means something different for everyone. The key is to find out what it looks like for you – which is why we're here to help!
- Check thrift stores. For a budget wedding, hit up the thrift stores for hidden treasures to use on your big day, and not just for your dress! You can also find decorations, jewelry, and more here. Don't be afraid to look beyond what's already hanging on the racks – sometimes you can find extra treasures in their stockroom or in the piles they keep out back (just ask!).
- Join online wedding groups. There are so many fabulous online communities where people post items they no longer need or want – especially wedding attire! These groups vary in size and location, so do some poking around until you find one that sounds right for you. Preloved dresses can be an excellent choice if you wish to save some of your budget.
- Consignment shops. Consignment stores are an amazing place to find gently used goods at affordable prices – and they're not just for clothes! Check out your local consignment offerings, and don't forget that some cities have shops that specialize in selling mildly used home decor items or clothing from specific eras.
- Buy online. The internet has opened up a world of possibilities to shoppers everywhere, and if you're willing to get creative with what you can do with your dress, you might be able to find something that works perfectly for your wedding day.
How To Create An Unforgettable Wedding Look
- Add appliques. If you want to make your wedding dress style really special, you should consider adding some appliques. Appliques are small pieces of fabric or other materials that are attached to a base garment in order to enhance it. They can be made from almost any material – silk, cotton, lace, metal, fur, or leather; and they come in many different shapes and sizes.
- Wear a corset. The corset has made a major fashion comeback, and for good reason: It's flattering, sculpting, and sensual. You can wear yours underneath a gown for a slimmer silhouette or even on top of your dress for an edgier vibe.
- Add shoulder veils/capes. These are also pretty easy to make, and they add a nice touch of elegance (even if your wedding dress style is more casual). You can even match them up with your bridesmaids' gowns!
- Dye your dress. If there's one thing that will make your wedding dress style uniquely yours, it's color! You can dye any white gown in any color – from pastels to jewel tones, to neons. Just make sure you're using a fabric dye designed for the material of your dress.
Attach a detachable train. Can't decide between a simple, elegant look and a massive, jaw-dropping ball gown? Why not both! A detachable train can be added to any wedding dress. It's easy to DIY and will allow you to make a grand entrance, and then walk down the aisle in comfort and style.
Choose your train material wisely. If your dress is flowy and smooth, then choose a more structured fabric, like satin or taffeta. If it is structured, go for something more delicate, like tulle or chiffon.
Use double-sided seam tape on the top of your train so that it stays in place when attached to the dress. Consider adding a broach or other decoration to the back of the train so that it stands out nicely when detached from the dress.
DIY Wedding Accessories For The Brides Who Want To Create Their Own Luxury
We hope these tips about how to DIY your wedding dress style have helped you prepare for the fun of planning your bridal gown. There are so many ways to customize your dress, and we can't wait to see what you choose!
For more information about custom weddings and the DIY styling options we offer at Freya's Fantasy Weddings LLC, such as appliques, corsets, shoulder veils, etc.; check out our website. We'd love to help you find the perfect accessories and embellishments for your wedding dress!